Thursday, September 22, 2011

I tried this recipe with a bit of applesauce...

I make banana chocolate chip mini muffins every time my bananas say that I need to. So, I baked some more again today, but cut the oil measurements in half with applesauce. My family couldn't even tell!  I LOVED it! Organic applesauce is cheaper than coconut or olive oil, so I am one very happy baker. They are still moist and a tad bit fluffier. And I nix the nuts, because they are EXPENSIVE and not really missed. Not like the chocolate chips. (Btw the choco. chips make this recipe not very paleo...*sigh* baby steps) I am really getting the hang of this Paleo baking, and I LIKE IT!

 Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or olive oil) (or half the oil with applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnut pieces

On another note, we are starting to phase out the dairy in our home. Not only because it has been tampered with, or because consuming 20% or more dairy in your diet increases your chances for  heart disease, but simply because we don't really eat it that much anymore. The string cheese has been lingering longer than usual. Same story with the milk. It's not as difficult as the wheat phase out was, which is interesting to observe. But we will see for sure when we don't have dairy in the fridge. And NO...EGGS ARE NOT DAIRY!!!

My husband made one of our family's new favorite dinners! It was inspired by my sister's Square Foot Garden harvest of organic tomatoes, zucchini, green onion, squash, and basil. My mother-in-law made it for us the night we brought everything home and we have been in love with this amazing creation ever since.  It's like a lazy cousin kind of dish of ratatouille. You just throw all those ingredients in and add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and presto...you have a delicious soup like dish, with yummy hunks of veggies that your body just thanks you for! It seriously like a hug for the inside of your body!! Since we don't have our Sq Ft garden set up yet, we have been able to buy organic tomatoes from Costco.  Those work out beautifully!  It's a super easy, fast, and healthy meal that's perfect for this time of year. Try it out and let me know how your creations turn out;) If you need measurements for the ingredients let me know, and I will ask the chefs.  Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. So about a year ago I bought a couple Paleo cookbooks because I like the idea but didn't love the look of the recipes- mostly because they looked difficult and I hate difficult. So, maybe when I'm not pregnant anymore you can help me out and motivate me! I for some reason can't do it pregnant- if I'm going to eat enough then it's going to have to be fast and appeasing to me :) But I totally believe grains can do that to someone and I am also anti-dairy. You are awesome and an inspiration, stick with it!

    LIndsey Francom

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I can't wait to try out this recipe with my kids! And I LOVE that you cut the oil and it worked!!! YOU ARE SUPERDY DUPERDY AWESOME PIE!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, what temperature is the over set, and for how long does it bake? Thanks sis! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 340 Degrees F:) And I cook them in my mini-muffin tins for about 8-10 minutes. My August 15th post has the rest of the directions if you want to look at that:) Just cooked up another batch tonight with almost all 3/4 applesauce and 1/4 coconut oil in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Still very tasty!! I am going to try a regular batch with just applesauce instead of oil, because oil's expensive!:)

    ReplyDelete